Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: Harvey's ...Jane & 401


ALLAN PARK, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 3073
Date:
Harvey's ...Jane & 401
Permalink  
 


Anyone ever hang out there in the late 60s-early 70s?

We used to go down there now and then, never raced those guys, they were too fast.

Was advertised as the "Home of the Hot Ones"......I have a couple of stickers I should scan. and a "T" shirt.....A friend sent me a post card a while back, will show both sides...brought back memories

 

 



__________________


TORONTO, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 141
Date:
Permalink  
 

I have a decal on my windshield as well. I also have this Racing Jacket I found at a Flea Market/Swap that I will never use, Size Large, never worn still has tags on it.

I will sell it if anyone is interested PM me. Bargain Price $40 and you pay postage.

IMG_0297.JPG

IMG_0297.JPG

 



-- Edited by RAT BOY on Sunday 19th of February 2012 12:28:20 PM

__________________

Ray White

NEWSLETTER EDITOR

Canadian Pontiac Specialty Chapter-POCI

"Sidekick to 427Carl"

 



ALLAN PARK, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 3073
Date:
Permalink  
 

That is cool...If it was XL, I would be having it.....The crest is the same as the stickers I have. Someone was duplicating the original stickers, "T" shirts and I guess jackets a few years ago. I still have a couple of the original stickers, has rounded corners instead of square

__________________


BRANT COUNTY, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 1133
Date:
Permalink  
 

that is some great stuff. Great story.

__________________

slab----67 chevy II 2dr post and 66 chevy II hardtop

plus the kids 87 Camaro and 68 SS Camaro



BLACKSTOCK, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 1907
Date:
Permalink  
 

Used to go there with a 23 T Bucket back in the late 60's, & a 55 Chevy 2dr. post after the T. Lots of great cars there, & at Harvey's Warden & Danforth + the one on Eglington near Bellamy Rd. Lots of "street racing" back then, should have spent some "jail" time over some of those races!!!!!

__________________

I can only please one person a day, Today is not your day!!Tomorrow doesn't look good either !!!!



KETTLEBY, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 270
Date:
Permalink  
 

late '70s we cruised down there with my L79 chevelle, we'd head back to aurora, going up jane st. surprised a few guys off the traffic lights, plain looking red chevelle, black rims.



__________________

dave

'69 bel air 454 M20



TORONTO, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 141
Date:
Permalink  
 

poncho62 wrote:

That is cool...If it was XL, I would be having it.....The crest is the same as the stickers I have. Someone was duplicating the original stickers, "T" shirts and I guess jackets a few years ago. I still have a couple of the original stickers, has rounded corners instead of square


 Haha, if it were XL I wouldn't have shown it. I have Rick's business card if anyone wants to conatct him, he does the sticker, T shirts and Jackets plus framed adverts.



__________________

Ray White

NEWSLETTER EDITOR

Canadian Pontiac Specialty Chapter-POCI

"Sidekick to 427Carl"

 



CLINTON, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 3585
Date:
Permalink  
 

I have the sticker too    

I am trying to lose weight  

Maybe it won't sell right away  lol 



__________________


TORONTO, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 141
Date:
Permalink  
 

427CARL wrote:

I have the sticker too    

I am trying to lose weight  

Maybe it won't sell right away  lol 


 It would have matched your Camaro. Get an Orange car and it's yours.



__________________

Ray White

NEWSLETTER EDITOR

Canadian Pontiac Specialty Chapter-POCI

"Sidekick to 427Carl"

 



CLINTON, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 3585
Date:
Permalink  
 

Thank you   I'll print off a photo and try to buy a car to match  lol



__________________


New Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 4
Date:
Permalink  
 

Do u still have the jacket? I'd like to buy it. Lemme know. Justus

__________________


New Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Date:
Permalink  
 

I just I might able to add to Harveys jane 401 news I was there in 71 72 73 I had green 68road runner in 71 A blue b5 with black hood runner in 72 and yellow challenger in 73 I started a lot of races and also raced alot later got to go for now

__________________
willie
77


BARRIE, ONTARIO

Status: Offline
Posts: 1127
Date:
Permalink  
 

A dude I know who is 72 had a 64 - 65 chev with a 427 4 spd I think hung out an raced at Harvey,s ..77.

__________________

I,m as cool as Milner , but axeually a bit more like Beckwith



BARRIE, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 389
Date:
Permalink  
 

Ratboy if Justus doesn't buy it for what ever reason I am interested, he did reply first.



__________________

HILLBILLY HOTRODDIN



SAULT STE MARIE, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 168
Date:
Permalink  
 

I'm too fat to buy it too

__________________

meoracing - 48 Studebaker 1 1/2 ton dually stepside.  LOSERS CC




UDORA, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 79
Date:
Permalink  
 

Hey 77. You brought back some old memories with that 65 Chevy. Late 60's you could cruise down to the Village in TO and check out the hippies and the Muscle Car Center at Yonge & Davenport. You could drool all night over some of those big boats! And the prices!!! If only now huh?

__________________

It;s just mind over matter. If you don't mind, it don't matter.



BLACKSTOCK, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 1907
Date:
Permalink  
 

John, wasn't that car lot called "NEW CAR TRADE CENTRE"??? 2 of my old friends bought some "iron' there, 65 Chevy Super Sport Impala 327/300 hp 4 gear, yellow /Blk. top & other was a 62 pontiac G/P 389 / 333HP 8 lugs & a ton of options. Found out just awhile ago how rare that one was with all the odd ball opts. AH the GOOD OL days

__________________

I can only please one person a day, Today is not your day!!Tomorrow doesn't look good either !!!!



FINCH, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 1260
Date:
Permalink  
 

Do any of you guys remember a 67-69 Barracuda painted pearl white with candy ribbon paint. It belonged to my elementary school nurse. I went to G.B.Little in the east end of Scarborough West Hill between 65-71.

__________________

 ///// Join THE LOSERS c.c. of Ontario Ask me how/////

LOSERS CAR CLUB



MISSISSAUGA, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 158
Date:
Permalink  
 

harvey_s_maverick sticker.jpgCool thread, some interesting reading.

 

I like this version of the Harvey's decal.



-- Edited by comrick317 on Monday 11th of March 2013 02:43:40 AM



-- Edited by comrick317 on Monday 11th of March 2013 02:44:47 AM

Attachments
__________________

Northern Region Maverick Comet Club website...........  http://nrmcc.weebly.com/

 KingCometMaverickCarClublogo.jpg



FOXBORO, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 1649
Date:
Permalink  
 

i use to hang out there a bit in the early 70's. moved up from peterborough to drive truck for esso on the gas trains out of finch ave. you are right about the pecking order there. i had a 66 s/s nova 327-350 4 spd. rolled it one night running a 390 g-t mustang on a side street off jane. needless to say i was in no condition to of been driving let alone dragging on a little side street. had him by a lot of lengths till i screwed up. high priced lawyer and beat it.
thanks for the memories, good and bad. lol

__________________
if your not the lead dog-the view is all the same


BELLE EWART, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 69
Date:
Permalink  
 

I hung out and did a little racing there is the mid 70's.
I had a 69 396/375 Nova, we did a lot of racing at Jane and Major Mackenzie,
right where Wonderland is located.

I had a uncle that hung out at Haveys in the mid to late 60's,
he had a 66 Impala 327 4spd.

__________________

35 Chev master sport coupe

302 GMC



Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 6
Date:
Permalink  
 

I'm surprised at the people that remember Harvey's...To us it was 'the burger joint'.  My uncle and his friends started meeting there in the early 60's.  He drew the logo and phrase 'home of the hot ones'.  He, Tom Gordon,  always loved 57's and bought his  as a used car and built it in 66.  He ran a 283 injected.   It was painted white with the 'Harvey's' logo he designed in 1970.  The car was stolen while in storage the winter of 72/73.  It was stripped and later recovered.  It now resides with me, his nephew.  We were only 8 years apart so I was called his little brother.  There are only 2 people alive that know the inspriration for the logo/car on the platter....so I'm keeping the secret.   Back then we never knew the place would become legendary.  The original guys pretty much faded from the scene in the mid 70's as the police started placing undercover cops and paying for informants and the regulars started getting charged......times change.  Tom went on to campaign many cars on the NHRA circuit.  I have many family pics that are shared on my facebook page.   I met  a guy recently at a car show that reproduces my uncles original logo on t-shirts and stickers.....flattery I suppose as Tom never made a cent off the originals.  I'm still in touch with some of the originals from Harvey's when it started.....Here's to our youth...may the legend grow...cheers.Tom Gordon's 57 (2).jpg



Attachments
__________________


NORTH BAY, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 3717
Date:
Permalink  
 

Nice posting interesting read.

__________________


ONTARIO

Status: Offline
Posts: 4606
Date:
Permalink  
 

Great story !! I find it interesting that 40 years later the Cops are still at Jane & 401 area for totally different reasons.


__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 6
Date:
Permalink  
 

hemi43 wrote:

Great story !! I find it interesting that 40 years later the Cops are still at Jane & 401 area for totally different reasons.


 Ya...the entire complexion of the neighborhood has changed....My mom's parents used to farm Maple Leaf drive area and her brothers hunted where Crang Plaza was built...amazing changes. 



__________________


New Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 1
Date:
Permalink  
 

That is cool, if anyone has any the stickers for sale?



__________________


MISSISSAUGA, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 158
Date:
Permalink  
 

Harveys Restaurant DRAWING with old cars.jpg

 

I was to young to be there with my car when it was so big to hang there. With the magic of Photoshop i have proof that my Comet was once there. Can you see me waving at the camera?biggrin






-- Edited by comrick317 on Monday 16th of September 2013 05:14:58 PM

Attachments
__________________

Northern Region Maverick Comet Club website...........  http://nrmcc.weebly.com/

 KingCometMaverickCarClublogo.jpg



BURLINGTON, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 150
Date:
Permalink  
 

LOL Wait till Grumps reads this!!
He was telling me all about this at a swap meet we were at last year.
He saw a guy selling all kinds of old shirts, mugs, posters, stickers etc...I think he bought a bunch of stuff.

I'm sure he will tell you guys some stories!

__________________

~Devilish~ Burlington, Ont.



MISSISSAUGA, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 158
Date:
Permalink  
 

Devilish wrote:

LOL Wait till Grumps reads this!!
He was telling me all about this at a swap meet we were at last year.
He saw a guy selling all kinds of old shirts, mugs, posters, stickers etc...I think he bought a bunch of stuff.

I'm sure he will tell you guys some stories!


 I know the guy your talking about, he's a major Mopar fan. He's a good guy too. I know he makes some money off the whole Harvey's decal / restaurant thing but i think it's a bit of love for the memory of it too. I just really like that someone is keeping it alive. He does sell one cool thing (as well as other cool stuff), the sign that was posted at the restaurant about not squealing your tires when you are there. Very cool!



__________________

Northern Region Maverick Comet Club website...........  http://nrmcc.weebly.com/

 KingCometMaverickCarClublogo.jpg



MISSISSAUGA, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 158
Date:
Permalink  
 

olderdude wrote:

I'm surprised at the people that remember Harvey's...To us it was 'the burger joint'.  My uncle and his friends started meeting there in the early 60's.  He drew the logo and phrase 'home of the hot ones'.  He, Tom Gordon,  always loved 57's and bought his  as a used car and built it in 66.  He ran a 283 injected.   It was painted white with the 'Harvey's' logo he designed in 1970.  The car was stolen while in storage the winter of 72/73.  It was stripped and later recovered.  It now resides with me, his nephew.  We were only 8 years apart so I was called his little brother.  There are only 2 people alive that know the inspriration for the logo/car on the platter....so I'm keeping the secret.   Back then we never knew the place would become legendary.  The original guys pretty much faded from the scene in the mid 70's as the police started placing undercover cops and paying for informants and the regulars started getting charged......times change.  Tom went on to campaign many cars on the NHRA circuit.  I have many family pics that are shared on my facebook page.   I met  a guy recently at a car show that reproduces my uncles original logo on t-shirts and stickers.....flattery I suppose as Tom never made a cent off the originals.  I'm still in touch with some of the originals from Harvey's when it started.....Here's to our youth...may the legend grow...cheers.Tom Gordon's 57 (2).jpg

 

Fantastic story, you are part of Southern Ontario car legend and Harvey's legend too!!!


 



-- Edited by comrick317 on Tuesday 17th of September 2013 02:00:23 AM

__________________

Northern Region Maverick Comet Club website...........  http://nrmcc.weebly.com/

 KingCometMaverickCarClublogo.jpg



BADEN, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 1670
Date:
Permalink  
 

Anyone have any other pictures from Harvey's?

__________________

Some people just simply don't get it!



WALKERTON, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 865
Date:
Permalink  
 

WOW - Great memories for the GTA guys and great reading for the rest of us. Very interesting post. Thanks for sharing.

John

__________________


MINDEN, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 184
Date:
Permalink  
 

I was there the last 3 years of it and saw some amazing (and illegal) cars there, I had a primered then blue 47 Ford coupe sitting high with Zoomies out the sides, was THE place to be back then. Also if you came in with your headlights on they would throw chips and burgers at you!

__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 6
Date:
Permalink  
 

Someone asked for other pictures....I have some, but the picture of my Uncles car was reproduced from here or my facebook page and the guy that sells repro stickers, etc is now mass producing the pics of my car and selling them. So I think I'll keep the other pictures private,lol. Its weird to be walking through a car meet and see a vendor selling pics of my car and stickers my uncle designed.

__________________


MILTON, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 123
Date:
Permalink  
 

Man I wish I was around to experience places like that. Its truly an era I wish I would have grown up in.
We had a place similar called the 'Texas Pit' at 7&427 in the late nineties until the 'Civics' started showing up. It was a great place to hang out and see some real nice cars until then.
Now if you want to see something similar you need to check out Ertefa.
Hundreds and on some nights thousands of cars show up. Got shut down a couple of time due to idiots trying to make up for their small wankers though.
Otherwise its a cool place to see some really nice cars.

__________________


BELLE RIVER, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 981
Date:
Permalink  
 

Never got to Toronto for the Harvey's deal but there was a good bit of similar action in Windsor ...coupla A&W's , Hi-Ho Drive ins , a Big Boy , and even more action over in Detroit back when Motown was actually a safe place to visit . They were fun days and I miss them .

T

__________________

 

I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.



NIAGARA FALLS, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 567
Date:
Permalink  
 

We had the same here in Niagara Falls at the A&W and the Totem Pole restaurant. Friday and Saturday night at A&W and Sunday night at Totem Pole where we gathered to hash over the days races at Niagara Dragstrip and eventually ended up at the" Quarries" where we had a marked out 1/4 mile. Those were the days.

__________________


BELLE RIVER, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 981
Date:
Permalink  
 

The Hi-Ho drive ins that I mentioned were a local thing .....name based on the Snow White and 7 Dwarfs theme .............I still maintain ( and most locals agree ) Hi-Ho had THE best tasting burgers and when Harvey's came along ( late 60's ? ) , they had the best fries ...Harvey's burgers were darn good too now that I think of it .

__________________

 

I couldn’t repair your brakes, so I made your horn louder.



BADEN, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 1670
Date:
Permalink  
 

olderdude wrote:

Someone asked for other pictures....I have some, but the picture of my Uncles car was reproduced from here or my facebook page and the guy that sells repro stickers, etc is now mass producing the pics of my car and selling them. So I think I'll keep the other pictures private,lol. Its weird to be walking through a car meet and see a vendor selling pics of my car and stickers my uncle designed.


 It was I, who asked for more pics. I'm after one in particular, a '69 yellow Dart Swinger. The owner of the car's son is looking.



__________________

Some people just simply don't get it!



BUCKHORN, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 685
Date:
Permalink  
 

wow, cool memories. my buddies and i hung around the bellamy and eglinton harvey's with our beasts, usually after some "quality" time at the knob hill. things were a little more lax in those days. a&w in peterborough was another favourite.



__________________

don't walk in like you own the place..........walk in like you hold the mortgage.



CALGARY, AB

Status: Offline
Posts: 41
Date:
Permalink  
 

From '76 to '78 I hung around Harveys on Ontario St. in St. Catharines in my '68 Mustang.

Every Friday and Saturday night there were mag wheels and hoods up. The odd challenge would come up and we'd go to Coon Rd. on the East side of St. Catharines where the strip was marked out and line up to prove ourselves.

The hot thing to do was date a girl that worked behind the counter.



__________________
Ken W Calgary Alberta 1971 Ranchero GT best et: 11.51 @ 117.6mph


PRINCE EDWARD COUNTY, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 708
Date:
Permalink  
 

In the 60's we hung out at the Log Cabin on HWY. 24 in Galt. It had an in and out so cars were cruising around all night. Later in the evening we would go out on Hwy. 97, which at that time was pretty well abandoned at night, and run our cars just like that scene from American Graffiti. Anybody else remember the logs?

Warren

__________________
You can only make it better


LONDON, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 596
Date:
Permalink  
 

Hey Teejay. Maybe you saw me at the Hi-HO in the west ends mostly but friday nights were both Tecumseh and Sandwich St. This was '63

 

1st57chev.jpg



Attachments
__________________


Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 6
Date:
Permalink  
 

Hello:
Harvey's was the place to be, if you wanted to learn about going faster as well as "sandbagging" a clever ploy to have your car appear slower that it was. Serge (Maddog) with his 70 blue dart, taught many young people how to part with their money street racing. Doing the same thing but in a higher level was Diego with his white/black vinyl 68 Acadian with a LS6 that sounded like a popcorn machine when it was idling. The humble fast cars were Pete's (the Greek) 70 LS6 blue chevelle, Fat Tony's (rip) rally green nova with the 427 4 speed, Dieters beautiful 70 Cougar with its crazy small block, Ricks Blue hemi charger, Zappers 70 Camaro in orange/white Motion stripes, Johnny vega (rip) was always fun to watch as well...so many memories....Jim Baldwin racing his sweet 327, 67 vette roadster, Mario had a fun 70 amc "Machine" , Donny Sargeant had the silver67 Beaumont that looked like a 6 banger but had a 427, Ralph (Rapid) had a 70 orange challenger 340 on the bottle, Carmen (da wop) 68 butternut yellow 68 SD Beaumont.....tons of memories, lots of cruising and battling other areas outside of Jane and 401....
The smell of sunoco 260 and burning rubber is intoxicating for sure..
Bill Dicks

__________________


GALT, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 145
Date:
Permalink  
 

wuga wrote:

In the 60's we hung out at the Log Cabin on HWY. 24 in Galt. It had an in and out so cars were cruising around all night. Later in the evening we would go out on Hwy. 97, which at that time was pretty well abandoned at night, and run our cars just like that scene from American Graffiti. Anybody else remember the logs?

Warren


 How about Frost Top.. and Tu-Lanes? ,,, Roseville Rd to lay rubber...



__________________

 

 



CALLANDER, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 29
Date:
Permalink  
 

I can't stop reading this
Fantastic👍
Glad this thread was started
Some have these great ol memories to share but never do thinking no ones listening.. but we are!
This stuff is truly important
Thanks

__________________
Coupes aren't just for chickens


ONTARIO

Status: Offline
Posts: 901
Date:
Permalink  
 

Ranch71460 wrote:

From '76 to '78 I hung around Harveys on Ontario St. in St. Catharines in my '68 Mustang.

Every Friday and Saturday night there were mag wheels and hoods up. The odd challenge would come up and we'd go to Coon Rd. on the East side of St. Catharines where the strip was marked out and line up to prove ourselves.

The hot thing to do was date a girl that worked behind the counter.


 Hi Ken, no one has brought up Coon road yet......



__________________


MINTO, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 13
Date:
Permalink  
 

From Fonthill we also hung out the A & W on the lane (Lundy's Lane) in the 80's. Cops got wind to the pink slippin at the quarrie so most of the guys would all head out from the A & W at the same time heading in all directions - cops didn't know who to follow. One day a dude w/ a camera & writing pad was checkin out our wheels. Next thing I knew my shoebox Chevy was in a movie staring John Travolta being shot in Niagara-on-the-Lake. Got paid $1300 for roughly 2 weeks lettin them cruze our wheels around NOTL. This (B) movie was Travolta's first come back titled 'The Experts".  My 56 was only in the movie for 6 sec's in the background. Like Milner said ' took hours to cruze the whole lane & a whole tank of gas' back in the day.



__________________


ONTARIO

Status: Offline
Posts: 901
Date:
Permalink  
 

That's cool 40Rat.
Not to knock north of Lake Ontario by any means, when I look back we had it really around the lakes. From Crystal Beach to Ancaster and further west to London/Sarnia......if you couldn't find a place to hang out and have some fun, well you weren't leaving your basement apparently.

__________________


BELLE EWART, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 69
Date:
Permalink  
 

A pic found on the web18199550_1496043197132326_3257983694053701356_n.jpg



-- Edited by Hotrodron on Sunday 28th of May 2017 09:10:40 AM

Attachments
__________________

35 Chev master sport coupe

302 GMC

1 2  >  Last»  | Page of 2  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard