Members Login
Post Info TOPIC: To bag or not to bag


PORT ROWAN, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 346
Date:
To bag or not to bag
Permalink  
 


I have an after market parallel leaf kit in  my 39 Ford coupe and the springs ride flat which results in a rather stiff ride. I like the ride height so I don't want to re arc the springs so my plan is to remove a couple of leaves and install air bags to retain the ride height ,hoping this will smooth the ride. Has anyone tried this or had any air bag experience?



__________________


Veteran Member

Status: Offline
Posts: 320
Date:
Permalink  
 

First thing that crossed my mind is "leaf spring wrap".

If you remove too many leaves, even though a set of bags will support the car, and the leaf springs will locate the rear end, I would think that there is a very real chance you don't have enough strength left in the remaining leaves to prevent (or limit actually) leaf spring wrap either when accelerating or hitting the brakes. You can deal with this with an extra link or two, just something to think about though.

__________________


PORT ROWAN, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 346
Date:
Permalink  
 

chips wrote:

First thing that crossed my mind is "leaf spring wrap".

If you remove too many leaves, even though a set of bags will support the car, and the leaf springs will locate the rear end, I would think that there is a very real chance you don't have enough strength left in the remaining leaves to prevent (or limit actually) leaf spring wrap either when accelerating or hitting the brakes. You can deal with this with an extra link or two, just something to think about though.


I have the same concern re wrapup. I would have to come up with some kind of "track bar " link. Might not be a bad thing to have. 



__________________


WOODLAWN, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 564
Date:
Permalink  
 

I have been running my 57 with a home made bag system and added a self leveling control, for years. There are just enough leafs to hold the car up if there is a leak.



__________________

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=henrys57wagon&x=14&y=6



PORT ROWAN, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 346
Date:
Permalink  
 

henrys57wagon wrote:

I have been running my 57 with a home made bag system and added a self leveling control, for years. There are just enough leafs to hold the car up if there is a leak.


Do you get spring wrapup or are you using a link setup with the leaf springs? 



__________________


SIMCOE, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 20
Date:
Permalink  
 

Steve , have you tried the "Spring " guy on Hwy 3 just east of Renton ( north side ) ..... a friend took his 57 Chev pick up there and the guy re-built his springs at a reasonable cost .

__________________


WOODLAWN, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 564
Date:
Permalink  
 

Only springs and no sign of rapup that I can tell. Have done some mean launches and am happy with the setup. Having said that it might be different with a set of gummy tires under it, but even stock springs give a lot under pressure.



-- Edited by henrys57wagon on Thursday 10th of December 2015 11:22:52 PM

__________________

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=henrys57wagon&x=14&y=6



PORT ROWAN, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 346
Date:
Permalink  
 

Do you think the ride is smoother than stock and how many leaves are left in the spring pac?

__________________


WOODLAWN, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 564
Date:
Permalink  
 

When I first built it I used 2 leafs and set the heights with the bags. Car was very smooth however after I had a problem with the controller I decided to add some springs to keep the height in-case something happened again. Now the ride is stiffer. I would rather have the security in knowing the car will be held up. I will have to look at how many leafs I have in it now.



__________________

http://www.picturetrail.com/gallery/view?username=henrys57wagon&x=14&y=6



NORFOLK COUNTY, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 123
Date:
Permalink  
 

Air ride is a great way to go.

I have total control of the stance of my truck at the push of a button.
I don't think spring wrap will be a major concern on street tires, but if so , a set of traction bars
would fix that easily, and also look period correct on the Willy's, if that's the one your thinking about.
I can supply the parts, and/or labour, or advice, what ever you need for this project.

Currently, 2500# or 2600# bags are on sale for $119 cdn. each




__________________

Chevy Apache10



PORT ROWAN, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 346
Date:
Permalink  
 

Thanks Moobster,I hope to get to it this winter. Henry,thanks for the info.I think I will go with main leaf +one and air bags.Im trying to smooth the ride and maintain the same height. Moobster, can you send me some info on the 2500&2600 bags?

__________________


BELLEVILLE, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 842
Date:
Permalink  
 

Moobster wrote:

Air ride is a great way to go.

I have total control of the stance of my truck at the push of a button.
I don't think spring wrap will be a major concern on street tires, but if so , a set of traction bars
would fix that easily, and also look period correct on the Willy's, if that's the one your thinking about.
I can supply the parts, and/or labour, or advice, what ever you need for this project.

Currently, 2500# or 2600# bags are on sale for $119 cdn. each



Do you handle the other stuff too?  Can you send me a price for a air management system. Tank, valves, controller etc

Thanks

 



__________________

Custom CNC plasma cutting. PM me for your custom parts.

www.lightspeedmetaldesign.com



NORFOLK COUNTY, ONT

Status: Offline
Posts: 123
Date:
Permalink  
 

Lightspeed Mike wrote:




Do you handle the other stuff too?  Can you send me a price for a air management system. Tank, valves, controller etc

Thanks

 


 PM sent



__________________

Chevy Apache10

Page 1 of 1  sorted by
 
Quick Reply

Please log in to post quick replies.



Create your own FREE Forum
Report Abuse
Powered by ActiveBoard